- May 2001 Starfish Greathearts Foundation is born, set up by a group of young South Africans working in London. Gcinasapho Rural Outreach Programme is the first beneficiary of Starfish support receiving a total of £2,500 towards their work.
- September 2002 Starfish Greathearts Foundation is registered as a charity in the United Kingdom charity number (1093862).
- May 2003 Having gained official NPO status in South Africa, Starfish is reaching out to 3,306 children in six of the nine provinces.
- January 2004 Starfish has more than doubled the number of children it supports, reaching 7,719 children in seven provinces.
- January 2005 Starfish breaks the 10,000 mark - reaching 11,068 children through 27 community-based partners. Starfish funds its first projects in Limpopo province and is now reaching eight of nine provinces.
- September 2005 Through the hard work of dedicated volunteers and the pro bono support of Allen & Overy in New York, Starfish USA receives its independent charitable 501(c)3 status in the United States.
- July 2006 Starfish recognises the need to scale up our response and rolls out a pilot programme of mentoring and training in the Eastern Cape. The aim is to increase the capacity of local communities to reach orphaned children in the future.
- November 2006 Starfish is supporting over 18, 378 children through three or more services from our care intervention model. A further 6,800 people are receiving monthly food parcels. Working with 37 non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and community based organisations (CBOs), Starfish is impacting 65 communities in eight of South Africa's nine provinces.
- August 2007 The figures have risen once again to now reach 28,637 children, working with 91 communities and 61 NGOs and CBOs across eight out of the nine provinces in South Africa. Our Mentoring and Training Programme has been rolled out beyond the Eastern Cape pilot.
- December 2007 The 15 CBOs successfully complete the Eastern Cape Mentoring & Training pilot programme and are commended at the first ever graduation ceremony!
- January 2008 Starfish continues to grow and expand its reach to even more children across South Africa. Over 34,000 children are being supported in 109 communities through 81 CBOs.
- January 2009 Starfish supports more than 36,000 children.
- November 2010 Global Fund support ensures committed funding for our local partners.
- January 2011 New private partnerships mean that our teams are able to implement sustainable support structures for local community groups having a long lasting impact.
- January 2012 Improvements in reporting and monitoring of our work means we are able to track progress in the target areas of Health, Education and Child Protection.
- January 2013 Recognising the need for training in the social care sector to ensure effective, high quality care, Starfish rolls out specific healthcare training for care workers.
- June 2014 Our Wellness Wagon brings healthcare to rural communities.
- July 2015 There are now two Wellness Wagons on the road, with the service expanding to reach two provinces.
Read more about what is happening now and see the impact Starfish's support is making.